Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Minne Royal and Royal Lee on 3CR178

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now....will they burn fairly easily in our endless 100+ degree days? Course there's nothing we can do, right?

I mean shade cloth is out of the picture once they hit the 8 foot mark or so..and then you have the winds to contend with......

myambermember
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most plants the problem isn't so much some sunburn on the leaves but the salt burn from the soil and water. If a plant is healthy it can continue to pump out new leaves to compensate for sunburn. However, salt burn weakens the entire plant including the roots. This is why the water and soil here are actually more of a challenge than the summer heat.

Now, there are some plants that simply can't take the heat. For some of those, afternoon shade is enough to make a difference. For some others there is just no way they can make it through summer.

I think cherry trees can handle the heat, but this summer will be the true test. I'm amazed that I haven't seen a single salt burned leaf on those trees yet. That is truly remarkable, so things are off to a good start.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* we have a winner with this new rootstock. The big question is, after they prove that they can handle heat and salinity, is how they do long term. As Ried is famous for saying....a rootstock isnt proven till its made it past 6 years.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Most of my cherries on 3CR178 are pushing near 3 ft of growth for this season already. Kinda doubting this claim that they will top out at 8-10 ft. And im sadly here to report that you were right, the one tree I had set fruit aborted them all. Oh well. Next year.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cherries are still looking great as well, even in 100+ degrees. I'm not used to trees being this easy Very Happy
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Amadio - 3 feet of growth and hungry for more!!!!!!!!!! Sharpen up those pruning sheers, amigos and amigas!!!!!!!!

MyAmberCherry
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys? How are those cherries doing? Mine have pushed 4ft of growth and are still doing quite well. Little scorch on a few leaves, hanging unhappiness in the peak heat, but otherwise just fine.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing well. My Minnie Royals are doing much, much better than Royal Lee though. All trees under 70% shade cloth, but the Minnie Royals seem unaffected by the heat, even at 3pm. The Royal Lees have lots of droop and a few of the trees have started to show some salt burn on the leaves.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...so....rather than let them continue to go vertical, I nipped the ends a couple weeks ago to encourange some branching - anyone else do that?

And mine have not wilted at all in the last few weeks of 100+ every day. I water them mightily and they are mulched and in a really perfect spot - a west wall of the house so they don't get the searing late afternoon stuff...just absolute champs....I occasionally give them some dilute kelp.
I have them and the peaches, pears and apples all planted fairly close together now....I think with our summer heat, some mutual shading is a benefit

Synchronicity happens!

AmberSchnauzer
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are still doing well. They get watered with the sprinklers every other day. They do have some sunburned leaves on the SW side though, but not too severe yet. June is typically the worst month for sunburn even though July and August can be hotter. The sun is most direct in June because of the solstice etc.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...interesting, but I've gone from twice a day, like 10-12 minute intervals each in this 100+ stuff, to once a morning at around 20 minutes. Guess I'm trying to drive the water deeper and make the roots follow. And you do every OTHER day - that's even better! Trouble is I've got some shallower rooted things on the same line that just wouldn't survive even every other day (I don't think, at least)

M.A.D.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a very sandy soil there as opposed to our clay so I'm sure the soil wouldn't stay wet near as long, so maybe every day is necessary for you.

I would also expect that it is easy for your trees to penetrate that sand so they could eventually have very deep roots and you could get away with watering less frequently for the plants that can grow deeper roots.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I'm rethinking with the mulching thing that I may try for a week, at least with some of the zones, a longer but every other day watering event and just hold my breath and watch the plants closely....with some of the trees I wouldn't be some worried but its the smaller stuf....hmmmmm....

AmberWoof
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, in our desert climates, when do these cherries ripen?
I have no idea, does anyone else?

MDog
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did in april-may
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: