Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Minne Royal and Royal Lee on 3CR178

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty early then...well that's great - especially when the palm tree cutters come the middle of June or so, and leave their path of destruction at my house (27 mature Wasingtonia and Mexican Fan Palms) - I'll have already harvested the sweet little nuggets...

Thanks, dt......m.a.d. Smile
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys hows the cherry trees holding up? All 7 of mine are hanging in there but are showing stress and brown leaves. Mine are all in full sun. Gut feeling is that they will make it thru.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have a touch of crispiness, but are still pushing growth in this heat, though slowly - I'll try to post a pic in the next day or two....

myamberdog
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...so here's my Minnie Royal and Royal Lee - remember bareroot sticks planted in Dec. 2011:

Cherry Trees 072712.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Viewed:  913 Time(s)

Amadioranch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall update.

All the cherries we planted last spring on 3CR178 rootstock came thru summer a little crispy but just fine. They are all flushing new growth now. My existing cherry on colt rootstock died in August. All of these are in full sun on flood irrigation. I think we can now say that this new rootstock is a solid winner for Phoenix.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too, Amadio - got crispy over the summer but seems healthy and doing a bit of flushing now....

Next spring and flowering-time will tell the tale....myamberdog
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same story here. The Royal Lee is in a little bit better shape then the Minnie Royal, but both going strong and putting out some new growth.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the next challenge is to get both these cultivars to come out of dormancy at the same time and flower. Last year mine were 3 weeks apart, but I wrote it off to being newly transplanted. As we all know, no cross pollination, no cherries.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe this 3CR178 rootstock suffers from delayed incompatibility. My Minnie Royal died in the Fall after 5 years of being in the ground. I would have expected it to be well established and strong by this point. Also, the graft union really bulged and got all kinds of side growth which looks like a classic sign on incompatibility. My Royale Lee is still alive but acting weak. Even in this mild spring weather, it is getting crispy leaves. It also has a bulging mushroom shaped odd graft. I think it is on its way out. I have replaced the Minnie Royal with a tree on Mazzard and it is doing well so far, just coming out of dormancy. I ordered a Royal Lee on Mazzard as well. I know people say that Mazzard doesn't work here and it appears from my records that I had one die on Mazzard already. However, that was in a really exposed spot in my front yard that has rock hard soil. I am going to see what happens in my backyard with more shade and softer soil. We'll see. Unfortunately, the 3CR178 experiment appears to have been failure as far as I can tell. How are other peoples trees on that rootstock doing?
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Im really sorry to hear that! Ours are huge, they would be 20 ft tall if I didnt prune them hard. Havent seen any of the issues you are describing. Getting to be very productive.

Id warn strongly against the Mazzard trial, that rootstock just doesnt work here. If you want to trial a new rootstock I have a one that is showing great promise.

Email me and ill fill you in on what I know. tidepoolenterprises@yahoo.com

12832410_10206095179519290_1147118263721981547_n.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  12832410_10206095179519290_1147118263721981547_n.jpg
 Filesize:  141.35 KB
 Downloaded:  656 Time(s)

myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Amadio - that's healthy. Refering to to your comment about coming out of dormancy at the same time, mine did but the flowering ratio from one tree to the next (they are planted in the same hole) was like 8:1, so the one tree just had so little pollen to give the other one.....guess I'll see what cherries form on each tree...

Also, I have to shade my trees in the summer - the leaves burn - do you do that or are they just out in the open like the picture shows....

Gary

Last edited by myamberdog on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never given them any shade at all. By the 3rd year the two types synced up the bloom pretty darn good. Our problem is getting bees to pay attention. We have a 100 trees blooming at the same time as these cherries and the bees seem to like everything else more.

We have had to resort to having bee hives places within the trees during bloom to help with the issue.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your tree does look good Amadio. Both of my trees have the mushroom looking graph line, and one already died. When both are like that it makes me think that the rootstock is not integrating well with the scion. I'll attach a photo of the graft line so you can see what I'm talking about. Anyways, I'll see what happens and how the Mazzard does here in my yard. It won't last long if what people say is true so I won't waste a lot of time on it. Smile

cherryGraftLine.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.5 KB
 Viewed:  17182 Time(s)

Amadioranch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very unusual. We have a total of 5 trees here on Z-Dwarf as they are now calling it. None have that sort of swelling at the graft. You might so some surgery on that spot if it is indeed dead and see if you see anything. Your experience is just so different than mine. And there is no good reason for a difference, I got you those trees out of the same batch as mine.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

The photo is of the one that is still alive. The other one had the same problem. The trees seemed to get weaker every year, so that is why the bulging graft seems to be evidence of delayed incompatibility. My environment here is slightly different because they get watered by sprinklers. Maybe the graft line doesn't like to get wet? Another factor is that these trees are in an area with a lot of root competition. There is an almond tree nearby that is getting pretty big, so maybe the graft is ugly but not actually the issue. Anyways, I'm not going to pull this tree up or anything like that. The remaining tree is the Royal Lee and the one I just planted on Mazzard is the Minnie Royal. They are side by side so it should be an interesting experiment. I plant without any amendments these days so the new tree is dealing with the local soil immediately. I do mulch on the surface though. I posted here years ago that the trees I had in a different location that died were on Mazzard, but I think it was actually Colt, not Mazzard. Kind of cool that we can keep a post running for 4 years. Glad your trees are doing well. Do you get lots of Cherries? I only got a handful each year on mine so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: