Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Loquats keep dying...cracked bark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbclem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Loquats keep dying...cracked bark Reply with quote

I'm not in the Phoenix area, but I wonder if this problem I've been having could be explained by hot afternoon sun. I've had 4 loquat trees, planted in almost the same spot over the past 6 years, all die the same way. They seem to do ok for a while after I plant them, then the next year I'll notice a branch, or part of the tree isn't looking well. Then I'll notice the bark is cracking, and within the year the tree will die...and most of the bark on the trunk is cracked.

This location gets hot afternoon sun in the summer...plenty of days in the 90's, a few 100's. After the first one died, I wrapped the trunks with a flexible white wrap (from Home Depot), but that hasn't prevented the problem. Three of the trees were Golden Nuggets in 5 gallon containers. The fourth was an unknown variety in a 15 gal container, about 8-10 feet tall. Right now all that's left are some suckers from the 3rd Golden Nugget, I'm protecting them with shade cloth. They're still small, 2 ft at the largest, and healthy looking.

I don't think it's fire blight since I haven't seen any branches or leaves going black on the tree. But I'd like to know if the hot sun could be causing the bark cracking. That's why I'm asking here; has anyone had a similar problem?

John
Topanga, Ca.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. That's a tough question. It sounds like your climate is more loquat friendly than here in Phoenix. I have found that loquats do best when you don't fertilize them. Other than that and proper watering I'm not sure what else could be improved. Here is an article on fire blight.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plant-Diseases-715/2009/1/loquat-trees-blossoms-turning.htm
jbclem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fire blight link. It's a thorough article. I never thought I had fire blight because there were none of the blackening twigs and leaves. The only year I had fruit (on the third Golden Nugget), the fruit was progressing normally when it seemed to stop growing and began shriveling. That tree died after a while, although it's the one who's suckers are growing and giving me some hope. Since the trunk was wrapped, I didn't see that the bark was cracking under I checked after it was obvious the tree was in trouble.

The clues I have are fruit shriveling, leaves drooping, bark cracking. Question is, which came first. I've had other fruit trees die from rabbits girdling them (chewing the bark around the base), and I've had them die for no apparent reason. But I've never seen as much bark cracking as on these loquats, so I'd guess the bark cracking comes in the initial stage of decline...not as the end result. Which is why I naturally suspected the hot sun.

I'm glad to know that my area seems more loquat friendly than yours, that gives me some hope. How many days to you go over 100 degrees? I have other shadier areas, and I'm growing seedling loquats (to be grafted...I have Big Jim scionwood right now) for these areas. But I need some privacy screens, thus the loquats are perfect for this hot sunny area (on the side of a hill above a noisy highway).

Is it possible that my watering habits could cause the bark cracking? I've changed them each time a loquat would die, confused by the idea that loquats are drought tolerant, but then reading that they should be watered every 5 days in summer weather. Otherwise every two weeks. Could I be killing the trees by over-watering, or by under-watering? Could it be gophers (this is a gopher hill I live on top of)...but each tree is planted in a chicken wire basket. The mystery continues...
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are over 100°F almost every day from June until September. I looked up Topanga on the web and it looks like loquat paradise. Maybe your trees need more frequent water, because being on a hill the water might drain away too quickly.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted the trunk of my Big Jim when I first planted it and aggressively shaded it for two years. After five years, it's gotten huge and does well in 110 degree heat. I think Phoenixtropicals is right -- you may be underwatering your tree, especially if it's on a slope and it's getting full sun.
CardinalTetra1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a discussion of the several loquat varieties:

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/gardening/anyone-grow-any-very-good-loquats-t2971.html

Dale
jbclem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible the clay-ish ground around my house has fooled me into watering less than I should. So this year I will reverse course and try to water more. I hope that if I water too much, the loquats will give me an early sign (such as yellow or dropped leaves) before they die, so I can cut back.

ajbcirc, how often were you watering your loquat for those first two years. Once a week, every other day?? Would you water it even if the surface felt moist?

It's been valuable getting information from the Phoenix area...if you can grow loquats under your extreme conditions, then I should be able to do the same in my loquat paradise.
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My in ground loquats are planted the following way, hole dug 3-4 times depth of pot. 2-3 ft wide squared. Remove native soil. refil with 1/3 tree shrub soil, 1/3 compost and mulch, litlle sand, little native soil. 6-12 inches of fresh mulch on top of ground couple foot out in each direction. Im watering my in ground trees approx every 1 1/2- 2 weeks. Loquats like well draing soil and lots of organic material. Morning sun or filtered sun is best. Older leaves yellow and fall as they age.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it difficult to "overwater" a loquat. They don't seem to get root rot easily if at all.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watered my tree every three days for the first summer and then have moved to every 6 days days since. It finally flowered and fruited for the first time last December -- after being in the ground for 4 years.

Will attach pictures soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: