Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

What's your tropical garden focus this spring and summer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangomanic12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: What's your tropical garden focus this spring and summer? Reply with quote

I,m focusing on
-Shade protection (Never did this B4)
-Foliar spraying at least every 2 weeks with intermittent soil drenches
-Going mostly organic and not adding inorganic fertz.
-Watering with clean water by using my filter for the chlorine and hard water over the months and seeing the results
- Mulching deeply and wide
- Learning how to make a compost tea maker and feeding my plants
- Observing how the Florida mangoes adapt to our dry heat in good soil and water
Lastly , very excited about heading to Fl a couple of times and tasting all the different varieties i can find with an eye to buying a plant or two of the fruit/s i like !

So what's your focus/ excited about/ you intrigued about??

myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm....many good topic in your list.....

I'm trying to avoid shade protection in order to get the plants to adapt to the desert climate. I'm also interested in doing more foliar spraying - and yes every two weeks is what I've heard is good for optimal growth. I've just got to get my "tea" going and seeing what kind of varieties of spray I'm going to try. One that will be brand new for me will be my fishpond filter crude that I've just been washing into some rocks on my property. It's GOT to have some great nutrients in it, including good nitrogen for sure, that I want to put diluted (and that will be the challenge) into the sprayer for spraying on plants.

I'm still absolutely baffled how spraying on leaves makes a plant grow....

The water filter thing is an interesting idea...you know that could really be a taste affecter on the mangoes and other fruit....some inline filter thing - maybe I should look into that too.....

Just put down a 3" think layer of Home Depot wood chips around a bunch of mangoes to see how that fare, and compares to others I have surrounded with just straight mulch.....

That's what's going on in my world....

Many mangoes in full flower now - 14 of the 16 varieties are looking quite loaded with that activity....strangely, my star produces - a 9 year old Manila, looks quite dormant with just a couple of flower stalks popping out....I'm a bit concerned about that as i got over 100 from that tree last year....have no clues as to why...

myamberpup
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm still absolutely baffled how spraying on leaves makes a plant grow.... "

There's quite a bit of absorption of chemicals through the leaves. After all, that's how Roundup works -- glyphophate, a chemical that looks like the amino acid glycine, is sprayed onto a plant as a foliar feed. It's then absorbed through the leaves and green stems and the growing plant uses it instead of glycine to build new proteins and cell components. As a result, the plant dies.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow....a scientific explanation - very cool -

THANKS!

A Dog's World
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: