Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Mango been growing!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Mango been growing! Reply with quote

Mango are still in pots and under shade cloth took them out for pictures. They have been putting on some growth.

manila mango.jpg
 Description:
manila mango
 Filesize:  237.75 KB
 Viewed:  778 Time(s)

manila mango

Timotayo mango 1.jpg
 Description:
Timotayo mango new growth on top.
 Filesize:  207.25 KB
 Viewed:  789 Time(s)

Timotayo mango new growth on top.

Datropicalman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely time to repot the top one, 15 gallon
Bkaus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, was thinking about that looks like a project for the week-end. There are many more plants that also need potted up in my yard Smile
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice healthy growth, Bkaus - I think maybe both
need re-potting to keep that good growth going......

I had little luck with my Timotayo, actually gave it away
to a person living in Santa Barbara as I know it was created
in a California coastal community.....that being said, yours
looks like it might produce a fruit or two next year!

Good Luck - Myambermutt
Bkaus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got moved up to the next size pot over the weekend. Haven’t had much time to work in the garden the last 6 weeks, it was fun being outside and working in the dirt. It took about 6 hrs of mixing up potting soil and potting up most everything that outgrew their pots and planted 40+ 1 gals with seeds from Mangos, Sapote, Loquat, Passion Fruit, and a few others. Most of the seeds were saved from the fruit that came from the farmer markets in San Diego.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys have some serious rare fruit growing action here. I haven't been here on the forum in too long! Bkaus I'm looking forward to hearing how your tropicals are doing.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...Bkaus....are we seeing any fruits forming on your Manila or Timotayo trees yet?

MyAmDog
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myamberdog wrote:
So...Bkaus....are we seeing any fruits forming on your Manila or Timotayo trees yet?

MyAmDog

Was waiting to answer it appears that the Manila and Timotayo aren't going to send out and flower buds. But there looks like maybe "it's exciting" that the Alphonso mango is setting fruit if they hold it will be my first mango fruit out of my back yard. Very Happy
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkaus,

That's GREAT news! FWIW, I've got 3 mango seeds that are sprouting.. I doubt they'll make it long, but hey you never know. Smile

I need to pick a grafted variety that I like and I think will do well here and plant it.
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to start with growing from a seed it give you a different perspective than getting a large plant. I have been planting mango seeds for a while out of the ~15 starts I have ~4 still alive.

The trees that were brought are (2) Manila, Timotayo, Alphonso, Carrie. I've draw the line here for a few years and see how I do with taking care of them. I find it's as much of a test on me as the plant on whether it live or dies. Now having changed my focus to plants that need less care but still gives me something good to eat. There is so many more choices when growing your own than what the store offers but they are getting better.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%!! Even with tomato's.. And my guavas are GREAT!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amber dog, do you fertilize your trees when the fruit are small and developing? The last 2 years before this one we had freezes in the winter so the mangoes didn't produce much of anything. However, this year the winter was mild so I had probably a hundred small mangoes on my largest tree. I didn't expect more than one per panicle to hold and things were looking that way for a while. However, they have all dropped now, which is pretty frustrating.

I was going on the theory this year of giving the tree no fertilizer until the mangoes got some size to them and making sure the trees got enough water in May, but it does not seemed to have worked. About 3 years ago, before all these freezes I got a fair number of great mangoes on this one tree, so I know its old enough to produce.

So, I'm thinking maybe my problem is actually, the opposite, not enough nutrition when the fruit is developing, so next year I plan to try fertilizing them with fish 5-1-1 every two weeks in the Spring. What do you think?
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the myth that trees should not be feed for a couple years after planting has never sounded logical. I believe that was started in response to customers over fertilizing, thinking more food meant more growth. It is easier to tell them no food than explain amounts and schedule. Most plants are fed daily at the growers. At Zill and Pine Island as examples plants are fed every 20 minutes thru drip lines. These people went to school for this. To take a tree, introduce it to a new climate, water, and soil, then starve it, makes no sense. How long would I last with no food? I need to eat every few hours for energy. Many nutrients that the types of plants that we like to grow, Sub tropical, are not available in our environment, and need to be supplemented. I firmly believe this, along with improper planting, is a major cause of plant failure here. Improper feeding or no feeding is just as bad as under/over watering. In hindsight I can see where I allowed many a plant to suffer from malnourishment. I asked Jim Stribling at PI to demonstrate how they feed, amounts, product, schedule, and started replicating and what do you know, trees continue to look as nice a year later as were day 1. A lot of this stuff can thrive in out climate given proper soil, placement, food, water, cold protection. Just my experience, Im far from an expert. But I do have healthy, fruiting trees growing in my yard (that supposedly wont grow here Wink).
Datropicalman

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, newly planted trees should be fed less than an established tree. Young roots can be sensitive and can burn easily, so I normally go with 1/4 - 1/2 dose, 30 days after planting. I would not advocate a newbie dumping fertilizer on a young tree to see more growth. My position is that not feeding anything for that period of time is not beneficial. Just info gathered from personal experience. 7-5-4 monthly spring summer fall, 18-6-8 Nutricote slow release 270 day food in spring, iron supplement as needed. Didn't mean for my previous post to sound like a rant, sorry.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,DaTropical - that was a great post. I agree with much of what you say, but didn't fertilized during the fruiting season at all before (in response to your question, PT)

For the last month I've scattered a 3-2-7 (or something like that) slow release fertilizer around the drip line of all mangoes, and have started foliar spraying with diff. stuff - a DynaGro product called ProTekt (by the way this has silicone in it and is supposed to protect leaves from excessive heat AND cold - I'm real curious to see if it helps with leaf burn this summer), mixed with other nutrient ferts like Kelp, and well about 3 other mixes I will put into the sprayer with the surfactant (for leaf stickability) and have sprayed now twice every 2 weeks for a month - weak doses of everything of course. I want to get some growth going while they are holding mangoes if possible.....so we'll see.

And yet, there is one tree, like you said PT - that was loaded with blossoms and held NO fruit and others are holding varying degrees of fruit. Just not sure why that happens so differently. My 7 year old RosiGold has ZERO mangoes on it after a plethora of flowers. My Manila is loaded with fruit. So I'm not sure I have any answers...

But I've heard foliar spray is like 10 times more likely to get nutrient absorbtion than regular watering of ferts to the roots....

Guess we'll see...but yes, THIS year is a fertilizing year for SURE...ALL year.....but like I said weak doses. (and did you know you are supposed to spray after the sun has gone done or early morning before sun up - has to do with the stomata on the leaves being open....who knew????)

MyAmber Pooch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: