Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Banana close to house?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Banana close to house? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Was thinking about planting a couple of banana varieties near my house, but I'm concerned about the amount of spacing from the foundation. The places where I can put them leave about 2-3 feet from the foundation, and that's if I plant them less than a foot from grass. I've read that banana roots can sometimes grow pretty far, and while I'm not too worried about my grass, I am worried about my foundation. Right now I'm looking at Raja Puri and California Gold as my top choices. Do you have any advice for planting next to the house? Or would you place them on an outside wall, just to be on the safe side?

Thanks for your advice!
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM - I can't imagine that banana roots have the ability
to lift or crack a foundation. I believe they are pretty
soft. Why not google your question and see what you
come up with?

the HUGE advantage to having them next to the house is
benefiting from that wonderful radiant warmth....

MDog
SM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MDog - thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I did do quite a bit of googling on this subject which is where I got confused! Some people said they would never risk it, others advocated house walls for exactly the same reasons as you - excellent warmth and wind protection. One person advised that digging out a mature banana plant and it's roots was a major headache, so careful attention should be paid to location. And still another site mentioned the roots of a "Grand Nain" banana being notorious for causing damage, which made me wonder why just this banana cultivar and not others. These opinions all came from people growing bananas all over the place, so I guess it's possible soil, location and watering could have something to do with it. Still, all very confusing to a newbie banana grower! Confused

I have not read of anyone in Phx having issues with bananas (other than heat/cold/water issues) so maybe I'll just give it a shot. I've read this site cover to cover and have gotten a lot of great advice! I'm a recent Phx transplant and now that I've given it a year to figure out the weather patterns and watering in my yard, I'm ready to try to grow some things, but I hate to kill things too Smile Anyway, thanks!

Suz
Bkaus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://phoenixtropicals.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=666

Here is a link to the owner of the website with his banana plants right up along the side of the house.

The things with banana you should not have more than 3 plants in a hole otherwise the possibility to fruit is very small. If you keep removing the pups you won’t every have a problem with root invasion. The biggest concern here in the valley is keeping them alive and not rotting out in the winter or dying in the summer. I have no problem with killing anything growing here in Phoenix just remove the water and it will turn into dust in no time. Smile
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bkaus said, my Rajapuris are right next to my house. They've been there for probably 10 years, and no problems. Bananas are a soft herb more than a tree. I can't imagine they would do any more damage to your foundation than a squash, or tulip, or say philodendron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: