Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Foliar Spraying....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raimeiken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got any pics of your lychee? how old is it? sun exposure? do you shade it during the summer?
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by 'vegetatively propagated'? Do you mean that you didn't use a root stock and treated it as a cutting (but with roots) instead? Do you use a salt filter, chlorine filter and calcium filter, phoenixtropicals, when you run out of rainwater?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Lychees are air layered. I'm just saying they are not seedlings and grafts/air layers a lot of times are slow growers especially when a plant is not in its ideal cimate. I ordered this one from Florida many years ago. Maybe 8 years possible. It stayed tiny forever. My lychess plant gets straight tap water. It is in a spot were a fair amount of water comes off the roof which might help with desalinating the soil when it does rain. It's on the east side of my house.

Interestingly I hardly use any fertilizer on it anymore. I use even less now than when I wrote my lychee article. I mostly just mulch it a lot. Like I said, it seems like grass clippings work great on it. Just don't pile green grass clippings too high around it because they can get hot when decomposing.

The article on growing lychees, on the website features that particular plant. I'll see if I can take a photo of it tomorrow.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Lychee photo Reply with quote

Tree on left is lychee. Little one on right is longan.

lychee.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.85 KB
 Viewed:  15587 Time(s)

Lychee photo

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Peach photo Reply with quote

From left to right. Peach (barely visible), nectarine (lots of flowers), apricot

peach.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.84 KB
 Viewed:  579 Time(s)

Peach photo

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Mango photos Reply with quote

From left to right

Manila mango, little Allspice in front of it, Keller Mango, Suebelle White Sapote

mangoes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.76 KB
 Viewed:  15558 Time(s)

Mango photos

Datropicalman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lychee has a nice protected area from the wind, that helps
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See that gray thing right in the corner next to it. That is my AC unit, so unfortunately it actually gets subjected to lots of wind and even colder air in the winter when its running as a heat pump.
raimeiken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice yard! what's the secret with white sapotes here? I've tried two in the past and they don't seem to grow that well for me and lost both.

How's your ice cream bean tree doing by the way? got any pics of it? Mine's about 7-8ft tall right now with lots of new growth. No flowers yet though.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I know about growing white sapote is on the web page on the site. Mine is a grafted Suebelle. They need some shade protection in the summer when young but take the heat fine after about 2 years. Temperatures under 28ish degrees will kill the leaves and the smaller branches, but mine has always vigorously recovered. Seedling white sapotes are super vigorous but your chance of getting nice fruit on a seedling are probably pretty slim.

I have Pacay (2 of them right next to each other), a relative of ice cream bean. They are getting really large and flower all summer but no fruit yet. I don't know if they are too young to fruit or if its a pollination problem. They are supposed to be self fruitful. I have an ice cream bean in a pot and it struggles to grow at all. Seems like the Pacay does much better here. If you have an 8 ft. ice cream bean you are doing really well. I also tried an ice cream bean in the ground next to the Pacays and it died.

If I have one recommendation to give is that you should mulch around all your fruit trees. I learned this from Doug Jones from AZRFG and it works great. Start by having a landscaping company dump a couple thousand pounds of free mulch at your house and spreading throughout your yard. Just be careful about putting the mulch down thick when its green around your plants because the decomposition will make it hot.
raimeiken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacay and ice cream bean are the same are they not?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are different. Ice cream bean has a long slender pod whereas a pacay looks like a gigantic snap pea pod. Check out the website for photos of the pacay fruit.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/pacay.html

Also.
Pacay = Inga feuilleei
Ice Cream Bean=Inga edulis
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacay is supposedly more cold tolerant because to is native to higher elevations, but both get killed back. PT, what exposure do your mangoes, lychees, and atemoya get?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangoes full sun. Lychee east side of house. Atemoya, kind of full sun, but lots of patchy shade throughout the day.
raimeiken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenixtropicals wrote:
They are different. Ice cream bean has a long slender pod whereas a pacay looks like a gigantic snap pea pod. Check out the website for photos of the pacay fruit.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/pacay.html

Also.
Pacay = Inga feuilleei
Ice Cream Bean=Inga edulis

Not quite sure which one I have then, since the foliage are pretty similar. I'll have to wait until it fruits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: