Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Winter Mexican Avocado Looking Good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Winter Mexican Avocado Looking Good Reply with quote

Well, it made it through the summer with ease. Winter won't be a problem with this variety since its hardy to the low 20's F.

winterMexicanAvocado.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.47 KB
 Viewed:  18317 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Winter Mexican Avocado Still Going Strong, March 19, 2009 Reply with quote

Just a little bit of water over the Winter and a small amount of fertilizer in the Spring.

avocadoStillGrowing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.71 KB
 Viewed:  18130 Time(s)

Winter Mexican Avocado Still Going Strong, March 19, 2009

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Avocado Flowers, March 19, 2009 Reply with quote

My Winter Mexican Avocado is starting to flower for the first time.

avocadoFlowers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.08 KB
 Viewed:  18127 Time(s)

Avocado Flowers, March 19, 2009

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Avocado looking rough Reply with quote

Well, about a week and a half ago I decided my Winter Mexican might like a little bit of Magnesium Sulfate. Yikes, what a mistake that was. It burned a little bit, and then when it got really hot lately, 115 degrees, it burned a lot.

It made it through two other summers here without incident, so I definitely think its the fertilizer that weakened it. I brought out the emergency equipment and put shade cloth over it.

I think it will live, but I surely learned my lesson. Do not fertilize avocados in the heat of summer! It actually put on a lot of new growth after the MS, but of course in this heat, new growth just gets hammered.

I have given it MS before and didn't notice any bad affects, but maybe I gave it more this time, and I definitely did it in the cooler months before. So, I'm not writing off the benefits of MS for this plant entirely, considering the growth I got, but I'm definitely never going to try it again in summer and I'll try a tiny amount of it, next time.

The reason I thought it needed it is because I had been giving this plant its regular fish emulsion this spring but it didn't grow too much.

I also, grafted (t-bud) a Haas and a Mexicola Grande to this tree recently and they both took and are growing. I can't wait to see what happens when I have a 3 in 1. The Mexicola and Haas are type B I believe and the Winter Mexican is type A so it seems to have a good pollination combination going.

burnedWM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.31 KB
 Viewed:  17307 Time(s)

Avocado looking rough

mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you get those PVC into the ground?

I need a structure like that over my mangos but those green poles at home depot are either too short or snap in the monsoon winds.. does the PVC hold up well with the winds?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PVC works great. I buy the 1.5 inch ones. and build a cube out of them as you see. The cube is not actually complete on the bottom. I just bury a T-joint on the end each tube. Its just a couple of inches deep and with the rocks on top it holds up well to the wind. To make sure the tubes stay in the joins I drive screws through them.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another photo to show you better how I do it. Each one of my PVC pipes is cut to 5 feet. I recommend buying the big cutters too. The PVC saw is too hard to use. Use a power drill to make holes for the screws. I wrap the shade cloth around the end top tubes and zip tie it. I have two of these structures and reuse them year after year (when needed). I just partially disassemble them and store them behind the shed when not in use.

Look, there is my CRG behind that closest leg. It has never really taken off. It grows steadily, but dies back a lot too. I think it will eventually fruit as long as I get some flowers in the spring. I've read the fruit develop and ripen very quickly after flowering, so they would be ready to eat before the heat hits.

shadeStructure.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.15 KB
 Viewed:  17240 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Avocado Recovered Reply with quote

People have been inquiring whether my avocado made it through the summer and my burning of it. I am happy to announce it has. I also have a Mexicola Grande graft that is successfully growing on it. The graft is the highest little bunch of leaves you can see in the photo. It was a t-bud. I tried splice grafts with no success, but the t-buds seem to work fairly well. Winter Mexican is a type B avocado whereas Mexicola is a type A. So they should cross pollinate each other nicely. The Mexicola graft is still a bit small with only 4 leaves on it, so hopefully birds or hail or something like that don't rip it off. I also made some Haas (type A) grafts on it today so I'm hoping to eventually have a triple type. As far as I can tell avocado take a LOT of patience here. I think I am going to go for a no fertilizer policy for this plant this winter and see how it goes.

avocadoRecovered.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.72 KB
 Viewed:  16875 Time(s)

Avocado Recovered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: